GRUESOME GHOST IN THE CELLAR

Brighton has always been a cross between style and sleaze. Peel away its chic fade and you will find a seedy underbelly. The playwright and journalist Keith Waterhouse was not one to mince words when he famously wrote: “Brighton is a town that always looks as if it is helping police with their inquiries.” This dark side of the city was, perhaps, most accurately depicted in Graham Greene’s 1938 murder thriller, Brighton Rock, and has since been seized upon in the popular crime fiction of Peter James. So rest the foundations of my tale…

PHANTOM OF THE UNDERGROUND

Covent Garden Underground Station was not always the bustling place it is today. For many years it remained a rather solitary little station, adrift between the more hectic stops of Leicester Square and Holborn. But deep within this echoing subway is said to linger a most troubled and brooding presence.

MEETING HOUSE PHANTOMS

The Friends’ Meeting House, in Prince Albert Street, Brighton, dates 1805. It was originally a rather modest establishment until further extensions were added in 1875. It was built on land that once belonged to the Priory of St. Bartholomew. The gardens were originally a Quaker burial ground where some 54 adults and 34 children were placed in unmarked graves.

WHISPERING SPIRIT

Little East Street sits in the shadow of Brighton Town Hall and runs from Bartholomew Square to King’s Road on the seafront. Tucked snugly at the southern end is number six, a listed cottage with bow-fronted windows, dating from 1800. The building was originally two separate shops; the right half dealing in ironmongery and hardware; the left half a stationers. In the mid-nineteenth century the whole building became a fishing tackle shop under the tenure of Samuel Andrews. It remained with that family up until World War II when it became a tailor’s shop.

THE GHOST OF WILLIAM TERRISS

The Adelphi Theatre, which stands on the Strand in London, was originally known as the Sans Pareil Theatre when it first opened in 1806, it only became the Adelphi in 1819. This was a rather cramped establishment which had been described as little more than a hasty conversion from a tavern hall. The building was subsequently demolished to make way for the theatre you see today, which opened in 1858. The Adelphi has been famous for its many farces, melodramas, pantomimes, musicals and, moreover, its resident ghost.